LA Mayor Garcetti calls for shared sacrifice as coronavirus surges – Daily News



Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti on Monday, June 29, joined a chorus of county public health officials, calling for a shared sacrifice to fight the surging coronavirus spread that threatens the region’s health system.

“COVID-19 is taking control and we need to take control back,” Garcetti said, imploring people to “do our part,” and “don’t let up,” especially over the next two critical weeks.

The mayor stopped short of saying eased restrictions will again tighten up but again urged residents to avoid crowds, wear masks in public and avoid going out but for essential activities.

“I don’t want to close anything… but I also don’t want people to die,” he said.

The extent to which people social distance over the next two weeks will make a difference in whether or not hospitals will be overwhelmed and whether the region can gain control over the spread of the virus, Garcetti said.

“We have to return to a time when we assume everyone around us is infectious,” he said.

Garcetti’s message Monday arrived on a sobering day for the county.

Two difficult milestones were surpassed after the county announced that 2,903 new cases had been confirmed, the single-largest one-day count since the start of the pandemic.

The county also topped 100,000 cases — a reflection of greater community spread, fueled by easing stay-home restrictions that enabled people to get back to work and a lack of social distancing at businesses and in large crowds, officials said.

Garcetti defended the city’s efforts to reopen businesses some public attractions. He added that leaders had to weigh the public health consequences against the need for people to make a living.

Six of seven indicators are heading in the wrong direction — deaths are the only metric not rising. But that is a lagging metric, which could also rise over the next three to four weeks, Garcetti and county officials said.

Garcetti said the city — and county — need to summon the collective discipline for a second push to stay at home — much like the first, in March, when stay-at-home orders went into effect.

County officials announced that beaches will close for the Fourth of July weekend and public fireworks displays will be banned to help stem the spread of the coronavirus. Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered bars to be shut down in L.A. County — a moved Garcetti said he agreed with.

“We have to deal with the truth,” Garcetti said. “COVID-19 has never left. It’s still as dangerous today as the day when it arrived.”